Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Too Tired for Dreams

Not a Text Adventure update.

I'm posting this to this blog because the definition to "blog" (as according to Google) is: a personal website or web page on which an individual records opinions, links to other sites, etc. on a regular basis.

I didn't think this fit on something like my Google+ posts. You see for the past few years I've been staying up late. I'm a bit of a night person. I can focus better and it just has a better atmosphere. Everything is settled and calm. And it's almost expected for high schoolers and college students to thrive on almost no sleep (I'm a college freshman). No matter what time I have to get up the next day, I usually stay up until about 3:00 am. I do usually feel fatigued by the end of the day, but nothing a quick power nap can't fix. Even when I do turn in early, I fall asleep in bed watching youtube videos on my tablet. Last night I decided to try turning in early (11:30 pm) without any distractions, and it brought back a strange feeling.


I used to just lie awake at night staring at different walls or the ceiling of my room, just thinking. Thinking about anything and everything. Last night I realized that this hasn't happened for a long time because I've just distracted myself with something until I was so exhausted I would fall asleep. It also felt like my brain was getting ready to make some dreams, which I then realized I haven't had dreams since the last time I've had a nice, long, all night snooze. I had a couple of those early in the summer (of 2013), and I don't remember when the last time before those were.

Last night I realized that I've been too tired before bed to think about everything or even to have dreams. I felt almost bad and a little sick with myself, but something else hit me; I didn't want to think. Thinking in bed feels so boring that I don't want to do it anymore. There was a reason why I started falling asleep to youtube videos, and before that I would read books into exhaustion. Unable to put up with the silence in what I still considered an "early" night, I did pull my tablet out and start watching videos again until I fell asleep.

I don't know what all of this means or anything other than I'm too tired for dreams and don't want to deal with the silence before getting a good night's sleep. Oh, and I learned a lot of cool shortcuts on how to do mental math like multiplication with larger numbers and squaring any double digit number: Mathemagic.

No comments:

Post a Comment