Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Spammed

UPDATE: I cannot block these sites. My plan was to block them then try reset the page views and just cope with the lost count of actual page views and start from scratch, but that isn't going to work. Apparently they slow down or stop as you gain a legitimate viewer base and as Google tracks down and blocks these sites individually. If anything this gives me more motivation to try and get more legitimate viewers, so these inflated numbers will stop screwing so much with my blog.

So I just took a good look at the statistics for my blog, and noticed something interesting.

The top traffic sources were from a site called vampirestat.com. I looked into the situation and it turns out they are a site that spams blogs with page views so the owners of the blogs notice an unusually high amount of traffic stemming from that site, tricking the owner into going to their site, increasing their own page views. As a result the owner gets super inflated page views. There are several other sites which also use this technique, further increasing the difficulty to get an accurate page view count. I'm looking into how to block these sites.

I decided to look into the complete list of referrals and get a more accurate count for myself. It looks like I have
 closer to 24 legitimate views. This is very disheartening, but much more realistic. I do believe that there are slightly more views than that since I could only count the views from referral sites (such as Google Plus, Facebook, etc.).


No comments:

Post a Comment