So I realized I didn't test my wifi internet speed at our new house. So I just tested it. 18.72 mbps download and 1.4 mbps upload. A second test clocks it at 21.49 mbps down and 1.47 mbps up.
So, pretty amazing download but super crappy upload. After all, out of the entire United States Michigan has some of the most reliable and realistically priced internet.
I do use AT&T and this is about 5 mbps faster download than our old house. Now this is a connection I can definitely work a lot with, HOWEVER I still have strong feelings in the big data imbalance here in America. Affordable fiber should definitely be a thing (come on Google Fiber).
On a side note, it does drive me a little crazy to see people ignorant of this imbalance or that there's a monopoly on data in America. A family friend of ours works for Verizon and when I show her a direct comparison of the Verizon FiOS vs Google Fiber and their speeds and prices ON THEIR OWN WEBSITES, and Verzion marks itself marginally slower and significantly more expensive, she just denies it. Ironman 3 even left a bad taste in my mouth at the very very end of the movie when there was the workshop literally built out of sponsorships, and the very first thing they showed was FiOS. I just immediately thought of all the marketing imbalance they cause because they're NOT the fastest yet they ARE more expensive. They are existing against the ideals of free market, where only the biggest bang for your buck services can survive. They just thrive off of owning a fourth of the major industry across practically an entire continent, along with ATT, Time Warner, and Comcast. These companies create the illusions of competition, but Verizon has a bundle plan with Comcast here in Michigan, but they're "die-hard competitors" on the coast. With such misleading numbers and accusations, I just get frustrated at these companies and the media for not calling them out like they're supposed to.
*breathes out* phew, that's a load off. You know, I really should get back to work on that rant series I was making, but it's going to be a LOT harder now that I'm on the first floor down the hall from the rest of the house.
No comments:
Post a Comment