Monday, February 5, 2018

My Podcasts

(Originally posted as a YouTube comment to someone asking for podcast suggestions, I went all out)

I do landscaping and I try to listen to podcasts to pass the time, so that's about 40-50 hours per week I need to fill. So some of these might seem too time consuming for you, and I'm sure you won't listen to ALL of them, but here they are.
(Edit: I realized this is pretty long and you might not care to read all of it or might not know what I'm actually recommending so here's the ones that I'd most suggest you try in order, and if you want to know more you can scroll down
1. Critical Role=Best but most time consuming.
2. Always Open=I anticipate every episode and is relatively short and you can get a good idea if you like it or not after only one episode.
3. Dude Soup=Much more sarcastic and less enthusiastic, but compensates with being super interesting and well researched with a nice dry sense of humor.
4. Adventure Zone=If Critical Role is too long and boring, Adventure Zone is much shorter and jokier.
5. Nerdist/Dear Hank and John/Story Break/Adam Ruins Everything=I'm lumping these together because I like them all for different reasons and think that they're each great and relatively educational on interesting topics and help expand your understanding and perspective of different topics and ideas in fun and interesting ways, but I haven't heard enough of them to more concisely place them on this list.)
So, I listen to...
Rooster Teeth podcasts:
Always Open = Shorter episodes (about 1 hour), interesting and open discussions about pretty much anything, but with a general theme of open sexuality. Not for everyone, listening to one episode should give you a good idea if you like it or not.
Off Topic = Very long episodes (about 1.5-3 hours), personality driven, it's a bunch of folks just talking about absolutely anything and everything, especially about their personal lives.
RT Podcast = A nice all-around generic podcast and generic length (about 1.5 hours), where they talk about most anything and tell stories and sometimes talk about news stories (very rarely political), the former CEO of Rooster Teeth is frequently on and he's a big Tesla fan (if you saw any articles talking about the guy that made his Tesla look like a cell shaded cartoon, those were about him) and he likes buying random weird tech.
Glitch Please = Average length (1-1.5 hours), very video game oriented, and recently one of the members has gotten super into board games, which can be fun listening to him talk about and might spark an interest for you in something you might not have really considered being more than Monopoly or Candy Land.
Fan Service = Average length (1-1.5 hours), all about anime. They have voice actors come on, directors, producers, animators, etc. They're also the crew behind Rooster Teeth's animations including the very popular "anime" RWBY. If you're not interested in anime, it might be worth watching like one episode to see the craziness they do with their cool set and fun segments, but it's probably not worth you sticking around.
Dude Soup = Average length (1-1.5 hours), not technically Rooster Teeth, is instead run by a channel owned by Rooster Teeth called Funhaus. Each episode kinda varies, they'll try to have a theme for an episode usually relating to a the biggest tech news story of the week, like the adpocalypse when that was first happening or the Net Neutrality repeal and they'll offer very balanced and nitty-gritty insight into issues and don't easily bandwagon. But the amount of time they'll talk about the "main topic" varies, they'll often get into more personal stories and just talk about anything.

D&D (general disclaimer: D&D shows center around campaigns, which are ongoing stories, so most if not all of them are best listened to in order):
Critical Role = This is by far my personal favorite "podcast," though it's also by far the most time consuming. Each episode is about 3.5-4.5 hours, and since it's a show it's not very good to listen to at random. If you skip a week or two, you're gonna wanna go back and listen to those before listening to the newest episode. HOWEVER, "Season 2" literally just started like 4 weeks ago, and is totally unrelated to the previous 115 episode "Season 1" and so far they've only made like 2 inside jokes referencing their previous "season," so if you're at all interested in jumping in and keeping up, now's your time to do so.
The Adventure Zone = I actually only found this one very recently and have been enjoying it. It's about 1 hour per episode and I'm only on like episode 20 out of 70+. It's MUCH more manageable than Critical Role since it's so much shorter. The main difference is that Critical Role excels at story telling and role playing and creating legit atmosphere and emotion and strong characters, Adventure Zone is much more upbeat and fun with tons of jokes with a great player dynamic.
Acquisitions Incorporated = A D&D show with an interesting gimmick, if the characters were actually entrepreneurs with tons of resources and equipment and businesses to manage. They still go on adventures and quests, but more to continue funding their investments and undermining their competition. I haven't been able to get very far in this because between all these other podcasts and shows I listen to, I'm actually kinda full on time, so this is usually a last resort option, when I've listened to all the other podcasts of the week and I still have to pull weeds for several hours.
Dice Camera Action = I've actually kinda fallen off of this one, it's very popular because it's officially hosted by Wizards of the Coast (the creators/owners of D&D) with one of the game designers as the DM, but his voice is kinda annoying for me and while it's decent with great moments, the show as a whole is kinda "meh" for me. It still gets a recommendation from me if you're super interested in D&D shows, but it's the bottom of this list for a reason.

RT+D&D:
Heroes and Halfwits = Earlier episodes were average length and weekly (1-1.5 hours), they later changed it to be longer episodes, but every other week (1.5-2.5 hours per episode). Not as good as Critical Role, or as fun as Adventure Zone, the main reason to watch is the dysfunctional group of friends and coworkers flailing and yelling and bumbling around in the game.

Other (either podcasts I'm interested in or have listened to only a couple episodes of but wish I had more time for):
Dear Hank and John = Time varies, but generally shorter (0.5-1.5 hours) If you wanna hear about some of the most influential and positive YouTubers ever host a podcast, this is for you. I've only ever listened to one episode, and I enjoyed it, I just haven't had time to listen to more.
The Nerdist = One of the most famous and original of podcasts, hosted by Chris Hardwick and of average length (1-1.5 hours), he usually has a guest and they generally talk about what the guest does and tell stories about their careers. I've only listened to a couple episodes and seemed to focus on comedians, though this isn't really a comedy podcast. It's great either way and worth a listen.
Story Break = A great podcast from old school YouTube group RocketJump that talks about how to make a compelling, good, well-written story. I really need to listen to this one more (only one episode under my belt).
Adam Ruins Everything = A lot of these podcasts I kinda recommend with the secret intention of suggesting a podcast that's actually kinda educational and discusses topics in depth in interesting ways with interesting people, there's no beating around the bush with this show though. The entire premise is to directly educate you on concepts that you might take for-granted and go super in depth, and it's super fascinating and enlightening. Strongly recommend, despite my only 3 episodes I've listened to (to be fair, I only found out about this show like 5 weeks ago).

I think that's everything, I'll update with more if I think of it. XD

No comments:

Post a Comment